What is SANREM?
SANREM was registered and established in Kenya in the year 2004 as a result of the desire of civil society organizations to take advantage of mutual interests, distinct geographic situations and diverse skills in the area of agriculture, environment and sustainable development in sub Saharan Africa, but with sharp focus on Kenya and the east African region.
The ultimate objective of SANREM is to promote the organization and coordination of agriculture, environment and development activities within the regional NGO community, promote environmental education and capacity building and, consequently, foster a more influential environmental civil society in Kenya and the region. As an important catalyst in this process, the organization was also set up to promote networking and cooperation among Kenyan and regional environmental NGOs to share information, raise their capacity to participate in regional work relating to sustainable development.
SANREM is an international non-governmental organization for affiliate members. Membership is free to all. Our aim is to promote and implement sustainable development practices and policies particularly in Kenya and the east African region. We raise awareness and improve knowledge of global, regional and national agricultural and environmental issues affecting the region, especially those relating to agriculture, biodiversity, desertification and climate change.
SANREM is an international non-governmental organization that aims to promote and implement agricultural development, environmental management, sustainable development practices, policies and strategies. These are done especially in Kenya and in the East African region through practical programmes, projects and activities with communities, dissemination of information, training, education, research, advocacy and campaigning.
The organization is registered in Kenya with the aim of:
(1) To promote sustainable development for the benefit of the public by
the preservation, conservation and protection of the environment, and the prudent use of natural resources;
- the relief of poverty and the environment of the conditions of life in socially and economically disadvantaged communities;
(2) The promotion of sustainable means of achieving economic growth and regeneration
- To advance the education of the public in subjects related to sustainable development and the protection, enhancement and rehabilitation of the environment and to promote study and research in such subjects;
- To increase the knowledge base within the public and local civil society organizations about environment and sustainable development issues;
- To influence regional and international response to the environment and poverty linkages and to the root causes of the current state of the environment in the region;
- To provide a platform that broadly represents regional environmental NGOs interests and perspectives at regional and international fora in the area of environment and sustainable development.